“OUT OF HAND” EXHIBITION
Stitching and Beyond will be holding its biennial exhibition Out of Hand from the end of September
- The Stitching and Beyond art group celebrates the work of textile artists exploring innovative and diverse approaches to fibre and mixed media arts.
- Our connection is a passion for fabric, fibre and threads, colour and texture and a desire to share ideas and knowledge collected over many years and from varying backgrounds.
- June Hope is an Ulverstone-based textile artist specialising in the ancient technique of wet felt-making. June uses merino fleece and silks to create her unique and distinctive wearable art and 3D sculptural forms.
“Bringing together my love of colour, texture and textiles, felt-making is my happy place! It’s the simple and tactile nature of the medium and the alchemy that occurs as fleece and silks combine
together under my hands to create something quite magical. I can never be 100% certain of the outcome; it’s like some mysterious force has the final say – I love that.”
- Stitching and Beyond members share their knowledge and love of textiles through regular meetings and workshops.
- The group has an extensive workshop program with Tutors coming from around the globe to teach new skills, processes, and media, these sessions are open to all members.
- We meet on the 3rd Monday of the month between 10-30 and 2-00 at Adult Education in Kingston and regularly email a newsletter to members. There is an evening meeting in Hobart on the 1st Thursday of the month at Friends School from 6-00 ‘til 8-00.
- Our biennial exhibition “Out of Hand” aims to showcase the broad approach we take to textiles from traditional quilting and embroidery, painting, dyeing, mixed media, to 3 dimensional pieces and wearable art.
- We also demonstrate a variety of textile techniques, to encourage the broader community to take up needles, threads and fabric, and share our enthusiasm.
Out of Hand 2019
VENUE: Long Gallery and Sidespace Gallery, 77 Salamanca Place, Hobart, Tasmania
TIME: 10 – 4pm Daily
DATES: Friday 27th September until 2pm Sunday 6th October
ENTRY: Gold Coin Donation
ITEMS FOR SALE: Textile Bazaar 10 – 4pm Daily
Official Opening 6pm Thursday 26th September, All welcome!
Light Box: Group Challenge pieces on display in the month prior to exhibition, to be viewed from the street.